- Communicate the intrinsic values of South Asian culture
- Introduce the lesser known South Asian art forms
- Facilitate creative collaborations between various creative professionals of various cultural backgrounds - artist, performers, writers, designers etc.
- Inspire creativity in artists and non-artists
- Design events that are culturally rich and enggaing
Art Fast is a cultural mapping process, through which people from different cultures can experience the universal elements of Hindu philosophy through a medium/practice that they best understand and relate to. Art Fast is centered on a 9-day Hindu festival called Navaratri. The essence of this festival is to connect with the divine creative energy that resides within all of us. While devoted Hindus fast (minimize food intake) during this festival in honor of the Goddess, Art Fast participants fast on their creative process / daily distractions and rejuvenate / discover their creative spirit.
The festival lasts 9 days, in which 3 primary forms* of the divine feminine are worshipped.
For the first three days, Shakti – the warrior goddess, is worshipped to inspire courage and find our inner strength.
For the next three days, Laxmi – the goddess of wealth, prosperity and beauty, is worshipped to help provide the means to live our daily lives in accordance with Dharma.
For the last three days, Saraswati – the goddess of learning, wisdom and creativity, is worshipped to understand the truths underlying all existence. Participants are encouraged to find parallels in their Art Fast process and map their journey in a similar fashion.