Art Fast is a cultural mapping process, through which people from different cultures can experience the universal elements of Hindu philosophy through a medium/practice that they best understand and relate to. Art Fast is centered on a 9-day Hindu festival called Navaratri. The essence of this festival is to connect with the divine creative energy that resides within all of us. While devoted Hindus fast (minimize food intake) during this festival in honor of the Goddess, Art Fast participants fast on their creative process / daily distractions and rejuvenate / discover their creative spirit. Participation can be in two ways:
1. Online through the 9-day creative fast
2. Physical participation through events organized in New York city
- To set participants on a journey of self-exploration to discover their creativity.
- To communicate the intrinsic values of Asian culture through a process of cultural mapping. i.e. understanding another culture through a medium or practice that one can best relate to.
- To facilitate creative collaborations between professional artists and creatives from various cultural backgrounds
- To raise consciousness about cultural identity for Indian immigrants in the west.
Curator & Producer
Jayanthi Moorthy, Artist & Educator